Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Leviathan: First Impressions

Hi!

Well I've received the playtest version of the new 10mm Leviathan rules and thought I'd post my initial impressions!

The game itself has changed greatly both in rules and scale. Instead of a 28mm scale game like warhammer the new version is a 10mm scale mass battle ruleset. I cant compare it to GWs warmaster as it has a more combined arms, World War 2 feel to it which is an interesting departure from the usual fantasy game with its massed lines of infantry and cavalry.

Leviathan has a mixture of infantry (mostly armed with a variety of ranged weapons ranging from bows to staff slings and magical Vril lances), monsters such as demons and elemental golems, warmachines (what I am personally most excited about!) and artillery.

Because of the more WW2 approach the miniatures are based on the new lipped style 50mm round bases that have become popular over the last few years. The combination of the bases and infantry fighting in squads along side tanks and towering monsters should make for a visually appealing and hopefully interesting game!

Its almost a cross between sci-fi and fantasy and I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the miniatures!

The background has been changed significantly with the back story coming from the discovery of a lost renaissance manuscript postulating that there is a twin of earth doomed to an apocalyptic war with fantastic races all bred from the same human stock. When I first heard the plans for this I was rather disappointed as I really liked the original background. However upon reading through it I have found it to be really rather engaging and an interesting departure from the usual tolkienesque fantasy fare (ala GW!)

Over the coming weeks I will break down my entries into covering individual sections of the rules and backstory but I personally am quite excited to see Leviathan is getting a revamp!

I hope to have a bit of an update soon with a brief overview of the rules and a background article on the setting itself so I am off to do some serious reading! If you have any questions I will be more than happy to pass them on to John or make a bit of a stab at answering it myself!

All the best!

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this a lot, but not sure if John's usual originality isn't an Achilles Heel.

    Warmaster gamers are crying out for 10mm fantasy figures and this could have corned two markets.

    Still, a base is a base so no reason not to mount infantry and cavalry on 40x20mm.

    *Taking a break from the Dwarf War Golems! (yes, found a Mk1!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Best of luck with the MK1 wargolem as although the miniature is quite nice, the cleaning that has to go into it is a nightmare (or at least the one Ive got!)

    The new game could be really good (I am certainly hoping so!) but I think a lot depends on the miniatures. At first glance the rules are really nice and simple but with a decent amount of originality but only some playtesting will thrash out the kinks.

    Thats why I was a bit hesitant to compare it to Warmaster as its a very different beast. Anyhow we shall see how things go!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any idea when we can expect minis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    I believe that they will be released around late summer in a mixture of box sets and blister packs but I will be pestering them for concept art and miniatures previews as soon as possible!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great news, are there any new updates for this project?

    ReplyDelete