Sunday, 2 January 2011

A Question Of Bases

Hi!

Well the order has been placed for my assorted miniatures for my Technomancers but I am left with a bit of a quandary as I don't know what style or shape of bases to use for my project

At present the choice is as follows:

Square/rectangular basing:



Old style round basing:



New style round basing:



Each has its own strengths but also annoying limitations, for example square bases allow units to be ranked up nicely but its almost impossible to get 40mm and 50mm square bases for mounting bigger stuff, while the new style bases look rather nice but may be slightly incongruous next to the plasticard I've used to base the big resin stuff!

I suspect that I will need to wait till I get home and take a photo of a miniature on each base and see which is most visually pleasing and see what you folks think!

All the best!

8 comments:

  1. You can get 40mm square off eBay. There is a seller in Honk Kong I order from and he is fast and cheap. You can get 50mm off GW in a mixed pack (IIRC) which wil include some 40, 25 and 20mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I will have a quick peruse to see if I can find them on ebay!

    Thanks for the heads up!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer square bases for regimental games...
    And generally speaking anything fantasy or historical really. Moderns and Sci Fi I feel tend more towards round ones.
    As for lipped bases, all I can think of is warmachine or dark age when I see them. I actually don't like them all that much...

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    This is why I'm a tad perplexed!


    As Leviathan is essentially a skirmish game I am sorely tempted to go for the classic round bases like those in Chronopia but still like the idea of ranking them all!

    I may just opt for movement bases!

    Decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Movement bases are a good option.
    Tony Harwood (Dampfpanzerwagon) has a great Tutorial for making them on his blog for round bases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm no fan of the lipped bases, either.

    I'd be tempted to go with round-plus-movement trays. That way you could use the minis in both skirmish and regimental games.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!

    I've sent a query off to Fenris Games who have a rather nice skirmish movement base and will post my findings here!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've taken to using Sculpey to make my own bases. Once you get the hang of it, you can make some stamps and create nice looking textured bases to your exact specs and it's cheap! $12US for a box of Super Sculpey.

    ReplyDelete