Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Gaming in Difficult Times

Hi!

Well I've come to the sad realisation that as things stand I just cant afford a gaming budget so am thinking about ways to continue my hobby as cheaply as possible.

The move to 15mm scale has seen two distinct advantages, I can now collect a decent sized force for very little money and store them in a small space too! Still I find that even this approach is not immune to the fact that I don't have money to spend on my hobby that I used to.

Therefore I've decided to go through all my wargaming stuff and ruthlessly cull it. I have had lots of projects that have been started over the last year or three and never been finished and its time to clear out and have a fresh start.

For example I have some Battletech, Void, Imperial Guard, 6mm sci-fi and fantasy and an assortment of Leviathan resin miniatures that I just cant do anything with at present. Some like my Void stuff will be getting completed as soon as I've finished the great tidy but others are just cluttering up the place and never going to get much done to them if I'm honest. Therefore they will be getting sorted through and ebayed as soon as possible.

Also my Leviathan project in 28mm scale will be getting sold off entirely as I just don't have the space for it or the inclination to paint the remainder if I am honest. I think I've done all I can for Leviathan in 28mm and my 15mm scale stuff is more usable.

I must admit that I have been in a bit of a painting and hobby slump over the last few months as I just cant seem to get myself into the mood for it. Maybe its been the move of house to the new far smaller space and general lack of hobby space or just a bit of a burnout but I do hope to be able to get out of it but at present I am feeling more than a little frustrated.

Hopefully I will be able to shake myself out of it soon and get back to my long hoped for campaign in the Axeblades. In the meantime I do apologise for the lack of any decent posts!

All the best!

5 comments:

  1. Sad days!

    We all get slumps like that, and I have known people to take a year or two to get past it.

    I would suggest that you don't part with all of your unfinished projects as you will likely regret it in the long run.

    Best of luck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we've all been there. Real life not only gets in the way, it can also dampen the enthusiasm.

    Hng in there, don't get rid of *everything*, and I guarantee the "spark" will return, probably sooner rather than later.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get rid of anything, because guaranteed you'll need it again soon enough. Besides you rarely recap the value through sales only to plow it into more stuff later on seems less cost effective than you think in the long term.

    My longest hiatus from wargaming was 3 years... but like all addictions they never truely leave your system.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    Thanks for the comments folks!

    I think I will try and hold onto my miniatures for the time being! I think the problem is that I just cant settle on a single project that ticks all the boxes for what I want to do!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father developed some fairly serious health issues recently and my mood really took a dive because of it... and my interest in gaming just completely flat-lined.
    I'd look at the pile of gaming stuff next to my desk and just think 'why do I hang on to this crap?'.

    But that was then... and now my dad is out of the woods and hopefully will be even better than before... and today I bought some new primer.

    Hanging on to the minis is probably a good idea.

    ReplyDelete